A paradox


Related image



You see, I am a madman.
I know when I see trouble. The rest would steer away but I would walk right into the storm, waving hands and saying, “I’ve to have this experience, too” to everyone who tries to convince me to stay put or find a solution to the problem. Last semester I got a ‘F Grade’, they mocked me but did I tell them that I wanted to have the experience from 1st semester itself. They want an easy way out. I don’t blame them – the world has been playing safe for far too long.

You see, I am full of stories.
I welcome everything into my life with open arms just to amuse myself. When it’s raining, I go out, looking for couples sharing umbrellas or for loners getting drenched in the rain. I look up at the sky as the first drops of rain pour down on my face. I notice how the droplets splash on the surface of the lake and dissolve with such easiness. Water dissolving into water. Pain disappearing with time. Splash. Splash. Splash. The drizzle turns into a heavy rainfall, but I don’t scatter like the others in the search for a shelter. I sit here on the stairs of the Ghat, watching the lake as the rain pours down. The weather seems fitting for both, symbolism if you say — one calls it romantic, for the other, it’s a scene of despair.

You see, I am an artist.
I will avoid conversations throughout the day and keep myself busy, but at 3 AM, when the lights are turned off and I have nothing to do, I strike conversations with friends who needed me in the morning. While they entrust me with their secrets, I make notes to tell a story. When I can’t sleep, I think of jasmines and wonder if my life would have been different if I didn’t pluck them. But do they know? I run away from life and every moment that can make me feel something. After crying on the phone, we share a silence, only I’m writing down the things they have said.

You see I am grey.
I believe all the things around us is grey, but we try to distinguish it between black and white. I do know is that life is just a dark night, and you’re on a bumpy road and the headlights will work only some days, and then, it won’t. So, when it does, enjoy whatever you’re looking at. When it doesn’t, stay hopeful. But We want to see from one perspective only. 
 
You see, I am a phoney.
I speak fancy words and walk with authority, put on a show to impress my dates – but like most of the artists, I’m insecure about my work and how I’m influencing people. But unlike other phonies, I appreciate people who know how to say Yes or No without making it sound like a big favour or an apology. 

You see, I’m an intellectual.
I strike conversations with people when I am in the mood. I talk about the unconventional subjects and books that you’ve never heard of, and I get under your skin, but the moment you want to ask me questions, I change the topic. That’s how we intellectuals are – we’ll ask you everything like it’s a big deal but get annoyed if you tried to know us any better than we want you to.

You see, I’m a hard man to be with and I don’t mind that.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts